Today it is my turn to reveal my Christmas Caroling row pattern. My pattern illustrates the Christmas carol "Oh Christmas Tree". My inspiration for this row came from a rural road I used to drive near Seattle. Every year I would see this one evergreen tree near the road - no houses nearby - that someone had decorated. It touched me that someone did that just for the joy of sharing it with others.
Special thanks to Marian Pena, seamstobesew.com, for all the months of hard work to pull this event together and for answering endless questions from designers. Special thanks also to Northcott Fabrics for providing fabrics to designers! The fabrics I chose are listed later in this post.
I did two versions of my row - this is the traditional row I made using my own fabrics to test my pattern while waiting for the Northcott fabrics to arrive.
This is the contemporary row using Northcott fabrics plus some from my stash. I could not resist the Christmas tree lights fabric and the little woodland animals. The snow and the bridge fabric were also provided by Northcott.
I used Shiva paint sticks to highlight all of the ridges in the snow that adds the depth to the pattern. Instructions are shown in the pattern as well as suggestions for other ways you could shade along the ridge lines. If you don't want to try this you could cut paper pattern along the lines and make applique patterns. This was fun to do. I hope you will try it.
Once I got the background shaded I used Steam-a-Seam II Lite and started applying my applique elements in this order: stream, rocks, bridge, bare trees, and then evergreens. You will print out a paper working copy to help you with the placement.
The pattern provides patterns for all the trees - both traditional and contemporary. I used the same pattern for all of the trees (just decreasing or enlarging) but note that each has a little different shape - you do that while you are cutting them out, just shaping them as you go.
I used the following fabrics donated by Northcott:
Toscana 9020-93 Mottled gray on bridge
Best Tree on the Lot 21760-73 Lights on Christmas tree
Santa Clause in Coming to Town 9020-10 Mottled white for snow
Magic of Christmas 21700-42 Woodland animals
My favorite part of making the traditional row was decorating the tree, and this is where you have to think outside the box. I went through my stash - and those of my friends - to find ornaments that I could use. Some were the right size and some were not. To get them to the scale I needed, I took a picture of the fabrics and went into Photoshop, scaled them down, and then printed them out on a sheet of fabric. This applies to the little woodland animals in the contemporary row also. I had to scale them down a bit and rotated some of them so they were facing in the right direction to look at the tree and then printed them on fabric.
To do all of the trimming of applique elements, you will need a very sharp pair of scissors with a good point.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PATTERN FREE ON CRAFTSY.
You may download this pattern FREE thru October 4th
Be sure to visit the other designers who are showcasing their patterns today:
Made by Marney
Renee's Quilting Addiction
Here is a list of the designers for the remaining days of the event:
Kathy's Kwilts and More
Duck Creek Mountain Quilting
Seams to be Sew
A Dream and A Stitch
Upstairs Hobby Room
Words & Stitches
Register to win a $25.00 Gift Certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop by commenting below. Your comment must include your name and email address in order to receive a giveaway. (Type in your email - it doesn't automatically show with your name.)
Shipping is Coupon Code via email
Visit seamstobesew.com for description of actual product and for more information on giveaways.
This Giveaway starts September 28, 2017 and ends October 5, 2017
This Giveaway is sponsored by the Fat Quarter Shop
Winner will be notified by Mountain Meadow Designs and announced by Seams to be Sew.
I AM NOT USING RAFFLECOPTER - PLEASE MAKE A COMMENT WITH YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS TO BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN THE GIVEAWAY.
Rules and Guidelines For Giveaways
Please take the time to read it.
1. Giveaways offered by sponsors are assigned to the various bloggers for their featured day.
2. There are no prior announcements on who is doing which sponsor except to the sponsor themselves.
3. You'll have to visit the blog or the featured blog to enter the giveaways.
4. Not all giveaways can be entered at Seams To Be Sew.
5. Seams to Be Sew will start announcing winners on September 12, 2017, and finish announcing winners on October 12, 2017.
6. In most cases, the blog where you won at also will announce their winners.
7. You must give a valid email address when you enter the giveaways, any email returned to me, loses the ability to win automatically.
8. With the exception of Show and Tell Day, all giveaways run for approximately one week.
9. You are given 3 days to answer the email, if you do not answer within 3 days a new winner will be drawn. Check those spam/junk mail folders, you may miss that winning email if you don't do so because there are no exceptions to this rule.
10. If you are notified that you are a winner, in most cases, you will need to provide your name, address, city, state, zip code, country, telephone number, and email address.
11. In some cases, you will be asked to comment on the blog to enter the giveaway... do the right thing and thank them for the time it took to create the pattern, thank them for the pattern and thank the sponsor by buying their products for the giveaways. This helps them continue to offer great prizes for these types of events. You can also comment on their social media pages. Even if you don't win, letting them know you love their products is a huge incentive and they really do love hearing from you.
12. No purchase whatsoever is necessary.
13. You must be 18+ in order to win a gift.
14. You are responsible for claiming and paying any tax owed on the value of any gift that you win. Prizes valued at $500.00 should be claimed.
15. All winners are chosen at random.
16. All winners will be announced on the blogs via the Rafflecopter entry form and/or post by the blogger at the site where they won and at Seams To Be Sew (http://www.seamstobesew.com). All winners must allow for their first name and first initial of their last name to be announced on this blog.
17. Odds of Winning a prize are based on a total number of rafflecopter entries during each week and in total for all giveaways.
18. This giveaway is void where prohibited by law.
19. Participating bloggers may enter any of the giveaways.
20. The word giveaways in the rules and guidelines are also known as sweepstakes.
Most of the giveaways are international shipping this year in some cases, you will be asked to pay for shipping your giveaways.
From Seams To Be Sew who put together this event:
I am not rich and I do not ask sponsors for money, they provide prizes only. If they shipped the prize to me, you will be asked to pay for shipping. All giveaways will be shipped that are in my home within 48 hours of my having heard from you.
An invoice will be sent to you via Paypal, and shipping will take place via Paypal, so your Paypal email will be needed to send the invoice. You will receive a tracking number except for overseas shipments. All shipping will either be first class which averages out at 2.77 to 4.00 up to 13 ounces. Paypal fees are added to that amount to cover that fee. All fabric bundles from Michael Miller, Hoffman, and Moda will be shipped via Priority Mail to protect the fabric itself.
Please note, every effort is made to protect the prizes. They go into a plastic bin when I receive them, and it is covered by an air tight cover. I have a dog in my home and I have a smoker in my home, so I do everything possible to protect the prizes.
Most companies are very good about getting prizes off to customers quickly also, but some companies are overseas, so please allow all sponsors a 2-week time period before you report to me that you still haven't received your prize. When the company is overseas, it can take 6 weeks to 90 days for an item to also arrive.
Whether or not you read the above, the rules for giveaways are in place to protect everyone. I do not want to hear you didn't read them, they will be posted on my blog daily during each featured day. There is no excuse for not reading them.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING TODAY!
DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT WITH YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS